Sunday, July 17, 2011

Whistle While You Work

When you hear the word work, what comes to mind? Happy, joyful people whistling in utter glee as they toil and labor? Or a host of grumbling individuals sweating and covered in dirt, watching the clocks tick by slowly until their time is done? I think the second situation might be the most popular. But work is not a bad thing or something to be dreaded. Rather, it is good to be involved in work, especially family work.

Working with your family creates cherished memories. One summer my family attacked a circle of weeds and trees in the roundabout in our driveway. Our house had been unoccupied for about ten years or so, so it was overgrown and chaotic; and my mom wanted the mess gone. IT took about three days, five people, and lots of sweat to remove the overgrown bushes, grass, odd alien flowers, and drying trees. But it was one of my favorite memories of working together. I had fantastic conversations with my mom and exercised and in the end we made our ugly roundabout into something beautiful.

I think working together as a family helps build the relationships you have with every family member. I have shoveled snow with my siblings, and working on my car with my dad, and cooked with my mom. And everything has left wonderful memories that I will remember all my life. I honestly could not tell you what we had for Thanksgiving dinner last year (partly because we made so much), but I do remember the fun I had cooking and baking with my whole family.

I have also learned valuable skills that I will use throughout my whole life. Baking, cleaning, gardening, organizing, taking care of a family; these are important life skills that have prepared me for the future. And I am so thankful for those times working with my family.

So what does work do? It creates wonderful memories, develops life skills, makes you appreciate a job well done, gets you to exercise, bonds you with your family, and makes you an active person. When working for others or in a family it "produces benefits ranging from sound work habits to the development of a sense of helping others, responsibility for the welfare of others, belief in oneself as a helpful person, a sense of agency or personal efficacy and an appreciation of the needs and feelings of others" (Grusec et al. (1996), 999.) I would perhaps argue that the best benefit of working together is that you grow closer to your family. "Family work links people. It does so by providing endless opportunities to recognize and fill the needs of others" (1).

If more people knew all these benefits of work and how it helps families, I bet (or I hope) many would stop hiring a nanny, and instead join with their families to take on the cluttered house.

1. Dollahite, Strengthening Our Families: An In-Depth Look at the Proclamation on the Family. Brigham Young University. 2000. Pg. 178.

2. Image: http://christmascorgi.blogspot.com/2008/05/where-are-my-sewing-mice-and-sweeping.html  Disney owns all rights to Snow White and the Seven Dwarves


No comments:

Post a Comment