Sunday, July 17, 2011

The Home

What goes inside a home? (Besides food and people) Decorations of course! Decorations in the home is a different topic to handle. I know it may not sound important, but it actually plays a crucial role in our lives at home.

In our homes we can have many forms of decoration. In my apartment right now I have pictures of my family and temple and friends on the walls, books on the shelves, and my badge from Walt Disney World hanging by my desk. I've surrounded myself with things that uplift me and bring a good, whole, and productive spirit to my room. If I did not have these things the room would seem bare and empty. If I instead hung up posters of death metal bands and people roasting puppies the room would have a completely different spirit. For one, it would be scary, and two, I would not want to be in my room. Ever. 

The purpose of uplifting decorations is to reinforce the sanctity of a home. A home can be anywhere: a house, an apartment away from the family, even a hotel room. It is what you put into a house or room that makes it a sacred home. There are many ways to make it sacred, and here are a few that I would like to implement in my apartment now and future homes.

An important factor is keeping the home clean. This is something I struggle with sometimes (I'm getting better, I swear), but it is important for not only yourself, but also your family. My mom once put on my closet door a special quote: "Sloppy ways lead to sloppy lives" (Gordon B. Hinckley). And this is a true principle. When we ignore the need of our homes in front of us we could then ignore the needs of others. We become disorganized which does not lead to an uplifting spirit. I don't believe you can feel good about yourself while stepping over piles of clothes and books and other oddities strewn around your room. Also, when the home is not kept clean your family feels a difference. There is less organization and a sort of irreverent atmosphere. I know it's not possible to keep things completely spotless all the time, but I would like to set a goal of keeping things neat and organized as much as I can.

Next, a home requires a setting where the family is made safe. Safety can be everything from having good locks on the doors and being prepared if there is a fire. I know I feel safer at night when the doors are closed and I know nothing can come in to hurt me. Included in this is making sure to select a good home from the start. As the primary song goes, "The wise man built his house upon a rock". Another key in safety is maintaining peace and respect within a home. If there is abuse or unkind words the spirit of the home is destroyed and family members live in fear.

Even how the home is organized can change the spirit within. The family is the center, therefore the placement of the furniture and decoration should center on the family. Arranging the couches so that family members can face each other and not the television is a start. Hanging pictures of family members on the walls can help also. I love how my mom always decorated the house with family portraits, senior pictures, and beautiful paintings. That is something I want to do in my own home one day.

Finally, love is the most important thing in a home. Speaking kindly, helping siblings, serving parents, showing love and appreciation for your spouse; all of these things help keep a sweet, uplifting spirit and enrich the sanctity of a home. President McKay said, "Homes are made permanent through love. It is not home without love." (1976)

A home is where the family learns and grows and develops mentally, emotionally, and spiritually; and it is where the family begins. Elder Russell M. Nelson said, "The home is the great laboratory of love. There the raw chemicals of selfishness and greed are melded in the crucible of cooperation to yield compassionate concern and love one for another" (1). The home is also the closest place to a temple. Temples are where sacred covenants are made, with one point of focus being on the family. It is where a worthy member may be married and sealed to their spouse for time and all eternity, meaning they will be husband and wife even after they die. On Temples in the Bible Dictionary it says, "A temple is literally a house of the Lord, a holy sanctuary... A place where the Lord may come, it is the most holy of any place of worship on the earth. Only the home can compare with the temple in sacredness" (King James Bible, 780-781). Since homes are second in sanctity it is important that they are kept and maintained as such.

1. Russell M. Nelson (1999, May), Our sacred duty to honor women, Ensign, 29(5), 40.

No comments:

Post a Comment