Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Adoption


This post is a bit different. Rather than just going off with my insights I also have questions. Talking about blended families is very interesting to me, but there are things I just wonder about.

I know a family that has adopted two girls. They have just the cutest family ever. The girls are doing amazing and (as far as I know which I don’t know a lot) they fit in so well. This mom is just a superhero to me. I’m amazed at what she has accomplished in her life.

But I always wonder what it is like to adopt two girls. How do you get that attachment between the parents and the kids when the kids are about four? How do you teach them that this is their family now even though their mom is still back somewhere else? What do the kids think? What sort of processes have they gone through? How do they comprehend having two moms? I think that question applies to many children that have been adopted or have parents that divorced and remarried.

Yet every blended family is different. I know another family where the parent was divorced and remarried and parents and children did not get along for a long time. What was different about this situation? (Well, there could have been a hundred different factors to be honest.)

I have always been interested in adopting. I just wonder what the transition is like. What is it like for those families? I wonder what it would have been like if my parents had been had been able to adopt that baby girl right before I was born. What would our family have been like?

We don’t often talk about blended families in the church. I wonder why that is. Divorce is more of a taboo subject. But what about adoption? It’s sort of in the middle I suppose. I would love to adopt one day, but I would love to know where I could find more information on blended families, specifically with adoption. 

No comments:

Post a Comment